Minutes from Green Codes Meeting 11-15-10 (2nd meeting)
Where are we now?
– Curtis Pike has encountered code issues when looking to add new home
– CP was told that it must become a subdivision, adding water and power lines, generally disturbing the environment in undesirable ways
– So this group was formed to address the issue that we need new codes
– Duane Curry (Madison Co. Bldg Inspector) is listening, we must provide something he will hear
– After last meeting goals for code research were established and assigned to attendees
– Research found a group from around ’99-’00 called “Madison County Action Team (MCAT)” that lead a charge for a proto-Sustainable Berea
– However group was not successful in changing codes
– MCAT later became MERJ and Sustainable Berea
– A search for Green Bldg. Codes (GBC) 2 years ago turned up nil, recent search had much better results
– NAHB Green Home Bldg. Guide
– United Kingdom has code for Sustainable Bldg. c. 2007
– CALgreen in California c. 2010, Santa Monica has own GBC
– Santa Fe has the most modern GBC codes
– Cleveland Community College in Cleveland, TN has Green Bldg. Program
– O. C. E. A. N. helps communities and governments create GBC codes by providing an Action Plan for Sustainable Code creation
Discussion: The goal of this group is to eventually create GBC codes for Madison Co. Where do we begin?
– Must find and reference engineering data to create codes
– Codes should be in a form that can later become a checksheet that can just be turned in to Bldg. Inspector rather than needing to provide engineering data every time for every mildly different Green Bldg.
– a minimum of 2 to 3 options should be provided for each type of part of home that can be implemented in a “Green” way
– request input from the community, find people that can tell stories about what they wanted to build and the troubles they experienced trying to build under current code regulations